This resource is hosted by the Nelson Mandela Foundation, but was compiled and authored by Padraig O’Malley. It is the product of almost two decades of research and includes analyses, chronologies, historical documents, and interviews from the apartheid and post-apartheid eras.
Chapter 11A - Volkstaat Council
[Chapter 11A inserted by s. 9 of Act 2 of 1994.]
184A Provision for establishment of Volkstaat Council
(1) The establishment of a Volkstaat Council is hereby authorised.
(2) The Council shall consist of 20 members elected by members of Parliament who support the establishment of a Volkstaat for those who want it.
(3) The Council shall conduct its affairs according to rules made by the Council. [S. 184A inserted by s. 9 of Act 2 of 1994.]
184B Functions of Council
(1) The Council shall serve as a constitutional mechanism to enable proponents of the idea of a Volkstaat to constitutionally pursue the establishment of such a Volkstaat, and shall for this purpose be competent-
a. to gather, process and make available information with regard to possible boundaries, powers and functions and legislative, executive and other structures of such a Volkstaat, its suggested constitutional relationship with government at national and provincial level, and any other matter directly relevant to the establishment of such a Volkstaat;
b. to make feasibility and other relevant studies with regard to the matters referred to in paragraph (a);
c. to submit representations and recommendations to the Constitutional Assembly and the Commission on Provincial Government with regard to the possible establishment of a Volkstaat and any matter in connection therewith; and
d. to perform such other functions as may be prescribed by an Act of Parliament.
(2) The procedures to be followed by the Council in the performance of its functions under subsection (1), shall be prescribed by an Act of Parliament.
(3) The procedures provided for in this Constitution with regard to the finalisation of provincial boundaries, shall not be construed as precluding the establishment of such a Volkstaat, and in the event of the acceptance of the concept of a Volkstaat, alternative provision shall be made by an Act of Parliament for the finalisation of the boundaries of any affected province or provinces. [S. 184B inserted by s. 9 of Act 2 of 1994.]