About this site

This resource is hosted by the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory, but was compiled and authored by Padraig O’Malley. It is the product of almost two decades of research and includes analyses, chronologies, historical documents, and interviews from the apartheid and post-apartheid eras.

June

JUNE 1

FILE NAME : RT2JUNE.R

PETE TO THEO

Hello on the first day of the month of June to you all in Lobby.

1.     Was the last TV message from Daniels an example of how not to do secret work or what??

2.     Forgot to mention in yesterday's comms that the 44,000 copies of Um cost R27,000 and that the 10,000 for Lobby are supposed to be sent to Marsha.  Theo will confirm about this later tonight.

3.     Also forgot to mention yesterday that you should please see that sufficient paper for report is organized in Lobby (if accepted plus addition from CC meeting will come to about 45 pages plus slightly thicker paper for cover.  Envisage binding with staples/ punch and metal paper holders – the latter idea is to facilitate the possibility of those to whom we initially distribute copies to being able to easily unbind, photocopy and further disseminate.)

4.     Below is a copy of the report received from Pete which Sam sent to CC outside for your information.  On the basis of this report Theo arranged to meet CC this evening.  Will let you know.

Received communication on audio tape from Sam via Rory.  The text reads as follows:

"Some of the background to this verbal report is that the CC (Coordinating Committee) decided that the report should be submitted to you and one comrade was actually delegated to write out the report.  I wasn't intending to do it myself but unfortunately this comrade failed to write out the report so I'm going to do it verbally.  The reason for this situation is there is no time left to try and write it up and type it up properly.  The reason that I didn't want to do the report myself is basically because I felt a lot more stronger about some of the issues raised here than the rest of the committee and I thought it was important that a collective view was put across.  So I asked one of the others to write it up.  Anyway, be it as it may I'll have to give you the report.

The report requires a bit of background.  Since the beginning of this year, within this region, we've been in the position where certainly as a CC, and I think generally the membership, we felt very much out of touch with what is happening at HQ and what's happening in terms of the progress of the organization as a whole.

Our difficulty has been that there has been very little communication coming through to us, particularly communication at the time when events where publicly were changing to quickly.  To a pretty large extent we found ourselves in the position where we relied on the newspapers to discover what our organization was going to do next.

In the early part of the year we discussed this with some of the other comrades in the other province where we have contact with and they expressed the fact that they were in a similar position.

Obviously the details of this kind of exclusion (?) do not go to all members but certainly in the CC we discussed it and tried to work out what we should do.  Our difficulty was we're bringing a lot of new people into the structures, trying to keep them enthusiastic about the organization and their role, participation within, determining the direction of the organization.  And yet, realistically we'd very little in fact of what was going on.  We tried to get the teams to discuss the changing situation and to put forward recommendations only to find that, basically because we're not communicated with and not given any time limits, by the time we put forward the information it was already too late and most of the decisions had been taken.  Since that time the situation has worsened.

We received very little in the way of (??) or requests from HQ.  It has become quite clear, to us as a CC, that certainly ourselves and obviously to a larger extent the membership are not being involved in any kind of process of determining how the organization emerges now that it has been unbanned.  More recently, the CC is told about the discussion that was going to take place inside.  We were also told that we could not raise this discussion with out teams because of security problems.  The same time we were told that others who had not up till this point in time participated in the organization were to be invited to this gathering.

I must say that at the time that this was raised with us as the CC we're going through a lot of examination, self-examination and questioning about whether we did have a role at all and as a result we raised very few questions when it was first put to us.  It was only in subsequent discussions at a later stage that we began to question the process.  I suppose the main thing we were going to question was why it is that the membership been active all along, were not being involved in what seemed to be a central meeting to decide the future of the organization.

In the longer term we wanted to raise the concern with you that if the membership are not involved in some real way in discussions about the process whereby the organization becomes public there is a very real danger that some of the best activists are going to be alienated in the process.

We as a CC found it very difficult to work out exactly what our role is in this particular climate and how we can ensure that the membership can be involved in some sort of process of emerging.

One of the main issues that obviously arises is the question of if a public leadership is to be chosen, by who and to what extent will the membership have any influence in this process.  We started the process of discussing this within the teams and encouraged people to discuss the kinds of people that they thought we needed as public leadership in order to promote the image of the organization as a public structure.  This was done.  But at the same time it became clear in contacts with some individual members, certainly to me and I passed this on to the CC, that the process was continuing and a lot of discussions about individuals who might emerge as public leadership was not really passing through our structures.  What also became clear was that individual members of the leadership were raising names of people who are controversial to a lot of our membership.  Obviously that in itself is not a problem it may be necessary to choose people who are controversial for a public leadership because they symbolize something and because they can attract a lot of people to the organization.  That in itself is not a problem.  The problem is that unless this is very seriously and carefully discussed within our ranks we run the risk of alienating a lot of our best people in the process of attracting a lot of others.  One of the things that concerned me particularly and this is not something of the CC, is that the leadership has chosen to raise names of controversial characters with individual members, leading individuals within our ranks and tried to persuade them that these people should be recruited, brought into our ranks and promoted as public leadership figures.  That itself obviously is not controversial, the problem is that unless this is discussed openly, within forums where more of our membership have the opportunity of putting across their views and some kind of common consensus come to we run the risk that all the leadership is doing is going out of the way individually to persuade, one by one, a lot of our leading members that in fact their reservations about these individuals should be withdrawn.  Personally I found this a problematic process.  And I think that in the long run, if this is the sort of process that we take, again we run the risk of alienating a lot of our key membership people.  The present situation is basically that the CC has got to a point where we don't really feel like we have any kind of role.  We are quite clearly not participating in the process of setting up a public organization and we're quite likely to discover what decisions have been taken somewhere else through the press.  I must say at this point that we certainly acknowledge that as a structure we haven't functioned as efficiently as we'd have liked to and certainly not as efficiently as we should have.  There's a lot of self-criticism on that level.  So the CC as a whole teams (??) towards the opinion that perhaps it makes sense not to consult us because after all we were not particularly effective.  But the problem is it's not just us we're talking about but the membership as a whole.  As a result of the position we found ourselves in we are having to decide what to do.  Generally we tend towards the view that we should just close up shop and wait for the public organization to emerge and we can all join as members and make whatever contribution we can through the structures at that point in time.  The problem is it's not just us.  May (??) have to think about all the membership and what do we say to all the people who're busily meeting in units and discussing all sorts of things that they feel is somehow getting through and is having an impact on that process.  If we just continue, pretending that this is happening we're likely to find ourselves in a situation quite soon where the contradiction becomes publicly apparent, when things appear in the press long before we have an opportunity of putting things through to the teams.  We've found ourselves in a very difficult position.  On the one hand as I say we generally feel that the best thing would be just to dissolve the structures – to suggest to all of our people that although there may be a need for such structures in the future at this particular point in time there's a relevant uncertainly – the focus at the moment is on public structures and that we should adopt a kind of wait and see attitude, suspend all activity, wait for the public structures to emerge and then should somebody within the leadership take initiative to re-set up this type of structure should it prove necessary then people will be contacted.  We certainly haven't made any decision on this, we wanted to raise it with you before we do so.  I must say though that we're going to discuss it quite seriously within the next week because we don't feel like we can continue in the present way.  We'll be holding a meeting as soon as he returns.  Thank you."

Kalie also attended the UDF National Working Committee meeting on 6/7 April, where his attendance raised a lot of eyebrows.  We have been asked if Kalie had a mandate to ask people the types of questions he was asking and why the information he was eliciting was not being provided at our level.  We were asked how he got to the UDF Meetng and under whose orders he was acting.  Again, we could no shed any light on this matter.

Two more people who have been picking some people's brains here are Pete Roussos and Brett Myrdal.  Len is mostly affected here, and he wants to know how he should respond to the situation.  The best we could tell him was tht we would check with you.

Regarding b) above, there is a range of issues that people have raised with us.  Most of these issues indicate that our people doubt if we spend enough time working out correct responses to the strategic questions that are confronting us now.  The question is: How much consultation takes place before a particular position is taken on any of these matters.

The most controversial issue of the day in our area is the new regional leadership.

We refuse to believe that we would have been expecting too much if we thought we would be consulted on this matter.  Our belief in this regard was motivated by the fact that a decision was taken even before we came into the area that we would be consulted on all matters relating to developments in the area.  This, generally, we designed to deal firmly with the political situation in an area that has been a victim to political manoeuvring and manipulation but, more specifically, to bring to order and under control the people whose actions had given rise to this type of political situation.

A lot of problems have arisen about the collective we have put together as the leadership core of our region.  To start with, some of the members of the core are incompatible with each other.  There is the antagonism, as a start which pervades relations between Johnny Issel and Trevor Manuel.  Past instances do not inspire confidence that these two comrades will work well together.

The situation was aggravated recently with the distribution of Johnny's open letter (copy enclosed).  Trevor is still seething with anger at the letter, not because it necessarily misrepresents the situation but, rather, because of the manner in which it was done.  Our information is that Trevor also believes that the letter was actually directed at him personally.

Much more has been conveyed to us with respect to all the comrades on the committee but, we do not desire to turn this into a catalogue of the complaints in the area.  However, be informed that the committee itself has committed a number of serious mistakes.  It is possible, of course, that some of these people are overawed by the situation.  Consider what has happened to some of them.

Trevor, when Cde Madiba met De Klerk after the Sebokeng shootings, was only told at 11 am on the day of the meeting at 4.00 pm that he would be part of the delegation.  He was shocked.  He thought it would have been better to know in advance and be involved in talks to strategise fully for the meeting with De Klerk.

Cheryl Carolus became aware only following press calls to her that she had been included in the team to meet De Klerk's government on May 2/4.  And, of course, she was asking in a long session with Molly on what basis she had been included in the team and what was expected of her in terms of contribution in the talks.  Her own view was that a team should have beeiticism [sic] that level.  So the C-C as a whole teams (??) towards the opinion that perhaps it makes sense not to consult us because after all we were not particularly effective.  But the problem is it's not just us we're talking about the membership as a whole.  As a result of the position we found ourselves in we having to decide what do do.

Generally we tend towards the view that we should  just close up shop and wait for the public organisation to emerge and we can all join as members and make whatever contribution we can through the structures at that point in time.  The problem is it's not jus us.  May have to think about all the membership and what do we say to all the people who're busily meeting in units and discussing all sorts of things that they feel is somehow getting through and is having an impact on that process.  If we just continue, pretending that this is happening we're likely to find ourselves in a situation quite soon where the contradiction becomes publicly apparent, when things appear in the press long before we have an opportunity of putting things through to the teams.  We've found ourselves in a very difficult position.  On the one hand as I say we generally feel that the best thing would be just to dissolve the structures – so suggest to all of our people that although there may be a need to such structures in the future at this particular point in time there's a relevant uncertainly  - the focus at the moment is on public structures and that we should adopt a kind of wait-and-see attitude, suspend all activity, wait for the public structures to emerge and then should somebody within the leadership take initiative to re-set up this type of structure should it prove necessary then people will be contacted.  We certainly haven't made any decision on this, we wanted to raise it with you before we do so.  I must say though that we're going to discuss it quite seriously within the next week because we don't feel like we can continue in the present way.  We'll be holding as soon as he returns.  Thank you.

Here follows a summary of the verbal response made to Rory:

Centre does not communicate directly with the CC.  We will forward the communication to the internal core who will respond fully.

I felt that I should respond on the mini consultative conference.  Explained to him that procedure was correct.  That meeting had to be secured therefore all members could not be informed.  This also applied to the outside where only the PB and a handful of members were aware of the meeting.  That there were persons who should have been members but up to them were not, through no fault of theirs.  At the same time, present membership and leadership structures are not representative of our society and our constituency.  That given the transition we have to make and the need to consult broadly it was necessary to draw such persons into the consultation.  That we understood the frustration comrades feel in this transition period.  That we are likely to launch publicly in July (sometime).  (Told him that this should not be discussed outside the CC.)  In this process all structures and membership will be reviewed an re-organized.  Told him (I hope I am correct) that the internal core will circulate the recommendations of the meeting to the CC and its teams for comment etc.  The discussion with Rory was for about an hour.

I was disappointed.  He shed the perspective of struggle.  His approach is confined narrowly to negotiations.  He talks of the need for "deflating" the expectations of the masses and the only way forward is negotiations.  I hope I caught the correct impression in this short time.  He probably thought I was a raving lunatic.

Ends message from Pete.

That's all from us in Jessie for now greetings.

JUNE 4

FILE NAME : S4JUN

For John from Carl and Daniel

1.     Rashidi will be changing her bleep.  She will send you the number on TV because I will be at Jessy for the rest of this week starting tomorrow 5/6.  She will add one to each digit of the number she sends, so that what you will have to do is subtract one from each digit.  E.g. 4608 will be 3597.

2.     I was informed by Jessy that you said you would explain yeast.  Will that be when we receive it?

3.     Daniel may leave Lobby tomorrow so if there are any more messages for him relating to last minute arrangements could you communicate with him via Jessy and Lobby to be on the safe side.

3.     Daniel may need to contact you via TV if he gets stranded in Rome on Thursday.  He will phone you at 700-5016.

4.     Just in case we worried you last Thursday the sister was trying to send a TC, because for some time we couldn't get into ML, but found that both you and Reynold were personally answering TV numbers. Please explain procedure in future if we need to use TC.

For Pete Carl

1.     We had exactly the same time and meeting spot arrangements and the man was briefed on same.  The person who actually did the briefing will check again what could have gone wrong.  We will get to you later.

1.1     About yeast and next pick up, we will await word from you as to when we should pick up.

2.     Re Brazo, we have agreed on integration provided we are told what his mandate is from MHQ.  His integration will only be acceptable if he is going to fall under the Vula command with no separate line of communication.  We are gravely concerned, however, that a person for whom such a sensitive mission is planned should pose for newspapermen in photo sessions of conferences which obviously receive  publicity in the country.  We refer to the SADF/MK conference.  A colour photograph of him with other appeared in yesterday's (3/6) Sunday Star.

For Pete/Kay from Daniel/Carl

1.     We received your request re names for retailer management.  Among the names were: Theo, Daniel, Marsha, Carl, Kaizer, Moses Mayekiso, Chis Dlamini, Cyril Ramaphosa (subject to recrt), Gomomomo, Cheryl Carolus, Harry Gwala, Govan Mbeki, Raymond Mhlaba, Kathy.

That's all for now thanks.

JUNE 8

FILE NAME :  ZONDS

Hello there

Received your mortgage payment 22h35.

1.     re: beep arrangements suits us fine.

2.     We do not know how to decipher a disk on file.  Please explain.

3.     Re money: How much exactly remains and where is the money?  I thought we used the equivalent of 30,000 sterling only out of the 49,000.  How exactly dry are we?

4.     Re Doris:  Until I know what major meetings/problems you are talking about, I will still expect you there on Thursday.  You have said nothing about the modem.  Anyway I will be leaving Doris tomorrow (19/6) and will be returning to Lobby on Friday.  I will also be taking the modem with me.  I have as yet no plans to visit Jessie.

5.     What about the BMW?

6.     Need we be reminded that allocation is also for Doris?  We have already began allocating funds for them from previous budget as you know about +R30,000.

So long for now.

JUNE 17

FILE NAME : R29JUN4

Briefing Document – July 29th Launching Rally

1.     Coordinating structures

The Party has now publicly announced that it will be launching itself as an open, legal party at a mass rally to be held at Soccer City, Soweto on July 29th.  To oversee the preparations for this rally an Organizing Committee has been formed in Joburg.  The Committee has met three times, and it is in the process of constituting a number of sub- committees (marshalling and security, media, press liaison, etc).

The committee has also been meeting with a wide range of fraternal organizations (COSATU and affiliates, the UDF and national affiliates, Fedtraw, the ANC, etc.).  These organizations are being briefed about the rally, and they are being requested to assist in whatever way possible in ensuring its success.  Amongst the requests we are making of these fraternal organizations is that they should inform their various regional sub-structures to the same end.  We are encouraging organizations to attend the rally with banners supporting the Party, and indicating their affiliation and locality (e.g. Vaal Civic).

To facilitate broader cooperation, the rally Organizing Committee will also be convening a broad coordinating committee which will meet 2 or 3 times, and will involve reps from the UDF REC, the COSATU PWV region, the ANC region, etc.  We strongly recommend that SACP regional coordinating committees take the initiative (in their individual capacities as activists) for setting up similar rally structures in their respective regions.  It is essential that the Soccer City rally has a national character, and that all regions are visibly represented.  Regional rally committees will have responsibility for informing and consulting with fraternal structures in their regions, for distribution (and where possible reproduction of) rally media, and FOR ORGANIZING TRANSPORT FROM THEIR REGIONS TO THE RALLY.  THE NATIONAL COMMITTEE CANNOT ASSIST REGIONS WITH TRANSPORT COSTS.

2.     Agenda of the Rally

There are to be 2 major speakers – Comrade Joe Slovo and Comrade Chris Hani.  Comrade Nelson M will be present at the rally, and will deliver a brief message of support from the ANC for the launch. COSATU will also deliver live a message of support.  Otherwise we are encouraging brief written messages of support – so as not to over-burden the rally.  Regional rally committees could collect some such messages.

The rally will also be used to introduce publicly the national, internally based Interim Leadership Group.  In addition, a number of SACP Central Committee members of the ANC will also be introduced.

Work is also being done on a cultural programme, and we will be relying on the COSATU culture desk to provide worker choirs, etc.

3.     Media

A special launch issue of Umsebenzi is in preparation, and the printers should have completed production by Monday 9th July.  We will produce 100,000 copies, and we hope to get regional allocations of Umsebenzi to the regions in the course of the week beginning July 9th.  (Any comments, criticisms, etc about distribution of the last Umsebenzi please to be conveyed as soon as possible.)

In addition, the Johannesburg rally committee will be producing stickers, pamphlets, and posters.  While the bulk of these will be distributed in the Pretoria, Witwatersrand, Vereeniging area, we will distribute some to regions.  Regional initiatives to produce their own will also be welcomed.  We are encouraging comrades to do graffiti.

4.     Press, etc.

We will attempt to get a coherent press campaign going.  This will include continued liaison with the alternative press, ensuring interviews, feature articles etc.  SATV are planning a one – possibly two part series on the history of the Party.  We are cooperating with this initiative, even though it will undoubtedly be a bit slanted.  SATV have promised us final censorship – whether this will happen remains to be seen.

We will also attempt to get radio phone-in programmes.  Again any possible local initiatives will be useful.  As will letters to the press, etc.

Finally, we are encouraging fraternal organizations to place messages of support for the launch in the progressive, alternative press.  This too, will require regional initiative (e.g. South, New African, etc).

5.     Conclusion

We expect to be informed on regional progress.   In turn, the national rally committee will endeavour to assist regional rally structures with any problems they might encounter.

BUILD THE NEW MASS PARTY!  BUILD A PARTY OF ACTIVE CADRES!  FORWARD TO DEMOCRATIC SOCIALISM!

27/7/90

JUNE 18

FILE NAME : ZPRPT

Sorry to have to get you back to this again but Theo wants this to reach Carl before he moves which seems like it is tomorrow.  Please confirm that you get it to him.  Hope you are okay.  Missing you all. Suzy.

From Theo to Carl

1.     Got back on Friday morning and it is clear that even in the present conditions with some precautions it is possible to link up with Suzy and all of you.

2.     I understand the pressures that you all were under but cannot fail to express disappointment that the input that we expected re underground etc to be in my hands by the 15th was not attended to.  I think we need to be clear that the reasons for my surfacing and ditto Daniels, was to facilitate our work and above all to enable the structuring of the overt as well as of the entire underground takes place on a correct foundation.  Without our considered inputs and hence a correct relationship between overt/covert everything we do can be reduced to meaningless efforts.  I thought we all understood this.  However the meeting of the 16th did not materialize.  It takes place tomorrow and thereafter comes the larger Indaba.  At the latter one hopes that since the meeting is devoted to the organisation of the overt body there will be space at the national level to correct problems even at Southern Natal level.  Even in regard to this problem there is no clear further report of developments which would enable me to take it up using facts which come from an authoritative level.  But we will see what we can do.  At the same time therefore it is necessary to emphasize that while we are attending to many details and important questions unless at the head level of Vula we clearly attend to the larger and priority items we will be failing in our duty.

3.     Re finances:  I think there is too much confusion on this question.  I am attending to the question of getting the funds from abroad and exchanging it.  Presently I am looking for 20% rate.  But again I had left you with R110,000.  Is this all finished?  I had assumed that this would carry us through to the end of June.  But it seems you are already borrowing.  However, the present position is that it seems that there is 30,000 sterling coming through for ENTIRE Vula operation in all regions.  Next there is 30,000 coming for the Retailer.  Of this, today at the Organizing Committee for the rally for the launching of the Retailer we have found we need R40,000 for the sound system.  Approximately R50,000 for the July issue of Umsebenzi and R50,000 for the ground hiring.  We have therefore asked Cde Kay to urgently arrange more funds for the Retailer.  I am giving you these figures for you to appreciate that the amount of funds available is limited and we have to always watch our expenses.  There is also supposed to be 30,000 sterling handed over to John for Phillip's outfit.  At this stage it is not clear when this money will be handed to John.  But it was agreed with Ntaba that we will centralize the handing over of funds at Cleo to John.  That we will attend to the exchange and will give Ntaba's outfit the amount realized in rand value.  Please inform Phillip that this 30,000 sterling should be with our person in Cleo soon.  If he wants to arrange the exchange himself then he should let me know through you and we will facilitate the necessary communications.  Unless I hear otherwise I will assume that it is okay that we give him the rand value though I would much rather be relieved of this type of task.  However on the basis that we will give the rand value and because we are hoping to find 20% it will take a week or two to arrange it.

4.     I think it is urgent that at the conclusion of the forthcoming NEC meeting which finishes on Friday, that the Vula head committee should meet not only to look at on-going work and the direction in which we want to move but how we are to go national.  I am a bit surprised that Nora is going back to Doris; Paula has gone to Doris; you are going to Doris; you expect Suzy in Doris and your reference to the need for a modem leads me to draw the conclusion that you have in mind already getting somebody stationed in Doris as a communications person.  I had reported to you that I was reluctant to make this move at this stage; that I had asked what exists at Doris to mark time (as I had reported we have to look carefully how and where Molly is deployed and that we need to avoid a situation where Molly who does not know the Western Cape terrain should come to head that area's underground and thereby make it even more difficult to restructure); that I thought that the next move re Doris would be for one or more of us to go and spend a reasonable period of time properly acquainting ourselves with what exists, the nature of the terrain, the security problems which were highlighted by the need for Christopher to take cover in Jessy.  All this because that area has its special political problems which even manifest themselves in the current ILC there.  I am therefore unable to appreciate why you are rushing to draw that area as it exists into a tight relationship with Vula.  You were present when Michelle was introduced by Nora and arrangements were made that Michelle could serve as a courier at the present stage so that we are in communication with the area – therefore I am even more puzzled that we should rush to set up our most valuable communication system and entrust it to anyone in that area without us having a thorough picture of that person's reliability and safety.  What is more Suzy is in a sensitive strategic area, Paula is in communications at Lobby – how many people are going to know of them at Doris?  People that we have not yet satisfied ourselves are safe and are working in the correct style.  Are we not running the danger that not only will the head committee of Vula go but that our entire communications structure will go.  I think we need to think about these questions.  I am sure you have good reasons for going to Doris and ditto Nora.  And if Nora needed a driver there are other people available at Lobby who could have performed that function.  So I am saying I am a little puzzled when our approach so far as been to only expand by taking bites which we can really chew so that we avoid becoming what Lusaka became as an HQ in terms of strategizing, planning and supervising developments; and we avoid becoming at lower levels of our structure what the Forward Area machineries became.  I am putting this matter frankly because both my absence and Jean's absence was known to you to be a very temporary absence.  I left around 3 June on the basis that I would be back by the 15th.  From the time of my departure to now, I find you repeatedly on the road (and to some extent I understand that); Suzy has been once to Lobby in this period (that too I understand); Andy has moved two trips back and forth; Nora who is being hunted high and low is on the way back to Doris (that I don't understand) because if it is that dump what is a few weeks delay in rescuing that dump when nothing has been done to prepare the place to which the dump must be dispersed); Paula is now on the road (and that I don't understand at all).  All in all it is necessary for us to plan to meet because I too after the NEC meeting can start flying around the country with quite a bit of justification e.g. having to organize the rally of the 29 July with the consequence that what should be a collective at the top of Vula will become Lusaka.  Above all please no one at this stage at Doris's is to be trained with the communications technique or to be equipped until we have had a proper discussion of the candidates that you bring forward with this task.

Danny the Boy to Lara and Carla

1.     Received your LIST, RECEIPT 7 WPRPT.  This was all in LETTER.ZIP but we also received $ETTTER.ZIP which was the same as LETTER.ZIP.  What the hell are you playing at?  Please don't play tricks with me!  In fact Shereen who was handling things tells me "There was another message from Jessy – subject queries…..after typing space and number the Kermit declaimed THIS FILE CONTAINED NO BINARY LOAD/FIGURE…after dialing several times same message was repeated.  The last time I dialed the message was no longer there…..?  HOUDINI you're at it again.  Just please clarify what has been going on?

2.     Your messages crossed with my CONTRACT to you.  I prepared most of it late last night and when Shereen and I came to send it we discovered your messages waiting.  The strange thing is I did not receive any "please fetch Patrick" message from you on my bleep.  Shereen bleeped me twice earlier today and I only received her second bleep so take this as a warning and do check with autopage that the message is for 'MARTIN'.

3.     Thanks for the list and other info re miniconf.  As you will see from CONTRACT had discussed with Sandy preparing input on women.  I am sure Marsha will agree as I do that there should be a collective effort from the three and I have no problem about Maggie doing the presentation.  Regarding SAM we can only put your argument to Marsha.  I am predisposed to agree with you but feel we should discuss this with Marsha when you get here.  He was in fact supposed to clear this up with you when he was in Jessy's.

4.     Will hunt up the report on TL meeting for you asap.  I am relieved that I am not the only one stupidly deleting files.  I must confess to having just deleted AC121 from my disk whilst meaning to save it for Trevor so that he could print it. This happened last night.  Thank goodness Sandy came to my rescue at this morning's CC meeting when I was lamely announcing that the AC121 disk I had promised them was alas and alack no more.  A comrade had in fact picked it up from Ken's public electronic mailbox set-up for this purpose and she had it on disk already and it will be printed.  Hey presto Houdini does it again!  The other file I have stupidly deleted is the list of code names provided me by Ken.  Please see that you bring a copy for me.

5.     Speaking of Ken he has provided the authentic Durban ml number which is 031-305-2372.  It seems my claims were all hot air.  What I have provided are the SAPONET numbers.  Now he tells me they are no good for us because we use something called Infonet.  ML – so ALT O ALT O Lara to phoning your hometown via Kermit I'm afraid.

6.     Completed tour of inspection of Miniconf area and environs which went most satisfactorily.  Details will be worked on by the two over the weekend and they will report to us Monday afternoon.  At that meeting we will get Lara's input, take final decisions concerning most things and have the following days to ensure the decisions are being carried out and all arrangements finalized.  We will obviously be working on the presentations over the following days and be ready for the perconf meeting by the Friday.

7.     Thanks for the comment re Lara's meeting with Kay and Co.  Am looking forward to full briefing.

8.     Phillip has a case of the proverbial ants in pants so do put him out of his misery soonest by bleeping whether he stays put for Ntaba come Saturday or scurries up to Jessy.

And my final submission m'lord is that Cryst Palace will upset the form books by defeating Manchester United tomorrow and please don't bleep me then because I would like to put my feet up afore the gogglebox for a mere couple of hours ayatollah or no ayatollah.

Cha Cha

JUNE 19

FILE NAME : INVEST

FROM CARL TO THEO

1.     The decision re Nora's return to Doris and Carl's trip there was taken after discussion between Daniel and myself following a debrief of Nora by both of us and how he outlined problems there.  I did not wait for you to leave the country and then use the advantage to take a decision as you suggest.  Ask Daniel to brief you how we came to that conclusion.  Perhaps our decision may be faulted, but I am sure we put enough thought to the matter and had no motives other than the need to advance our work.

2.     I have already reported that Paula went down to effect internal link-up.  Accompanying Nora was not in the least essential.  But she would have had to be there anyway during my presence to facilitate communications between Doris-Lobby-Jessy-Cleo.  That is why I was taking modem with me to Doris and had bought the three books one of which I passed to Suzy.  Even before Suzy's arrival (the timing of which was not very certain) I would have had to keep in touch with both inside and outside, and Paula was needed for that.  The reason why I do not take her to Jessy sometimes is because we have a communications person there.  We had no intention to link her up with anybody at Doris or to expose anybody to her or vice-versa.  The task of setting up communications with person earmarked by the machinery there was a separate matter and would have been entrusted to Suzy, who is more proficient in these matters.  Hence our discussions with Suzy about this some time ago.  Again, someone may find fault with my approach, but it was my thinking nevertheless.

3.     When you went to Doris you also had in mind setting up the communications with Doris if you could find or be provided with a suitable person.  When you came back you said that there had been insufficient time to realize this.  According to Nora, when you were there you asked them to look for a person who was reliable and well versed with computers to handle their communications.  I therefore did not understand that by setting up communications there we were drawing that area into "a tight relationship with Vula" or that even by so doing we are committing a felony, or that we are becoming Lusaka and perpetuating /encouraging forward-area-like styles of work.  There has been nothing underhanded or sinister in what we were attempting to do.  Suzy should have given you the communications to HQ if she has not already done so.  The matter of Nora returning there was reported to Kay and Pete as well.  So was the thinking about my undertaking a trip there.  Nora has completed the tasks that he had to accomplish at Jessy and Lobby.  Although he might be needed at some stage, this will certainly not be in the short term.  Our calculations are that he is needed presently at Doris, however.  He has work to do there, nothing more to do here; legends to protect there, whereas here he is becoming just a fetter – if not a security risk.  Your attempt at dramatizing our whole act since your departure as kangaroos on the hop or mice dancing in the absence of the cat is totally unwarranted and unfair.  My trip, Nora's trip, Andy's trip, Susan's trip, were all decided in your presence or at your behest.  I do not accept, therefore, your assertion that "from the time of my departure up to now, I find you repeatedly on the road".  I went to Jessy once, and you knew the trip was impending before you left.  Nora had to go to Jessy to attend to the depot at Norma as you know.  He went and did a marvelous job out of it.  Andy assisted him.  Andy also rescued a depot with weapons that were rotting.  This also you knew about.  There is still some hardware which Andy has to rescue which he has come there for.  As a result of Andy's being "on the road", we have four more serviceable AKs, ammunition and hand grenades.  I have known people to trot the globe for less cogent returns.  I do not want for one moment to appear to be questioning your right as head of Vula to demand explanation for any of our actions, but to have lumped all our activities with the matter of Doris as if I have been responsible for a series of blunders does not help your criticism at all.  It only serves to confuse matters and to annoy a great deal.

4.     In the light of your communication, I have cancelled my trip to Doris.  I do not have any communication with Doris save the beeps which Nora left me to contact them by on my arrival there.  I will attempt to have him ring me at some public phone (we do not have codes to arrange this) in order to arrange with him the return of Paula and inform him that Carl's trip is off/delayed.  If you or Suzy have better means of ensuring this please assist.  We will need to know when Paula is coming to fetch her from the airport.  They must buy her a ticket from their funds and we will reimburse them.

5.     While we are on funds, we had put aside funds for rents and allowances even for July.  Operational funds have dried up, however.  We have only R4,000 left, excluding the R14,000 which we have given out or still have to for July (some of the rents were paid for both June and July).  There are two pick-up trips to Boris this weekend for which I have already given Clive R5,000 but this will not be enough.  There are requisitions from Francis and the ZoPC which I expect to be tabled soon.  The "borrowing" was a bit of an exaggeration of the situation in order to impress on the urgency of funds here.  My apologies if this caused a bit of consternation.

6.     Back to the subject of Vula I humbly await the next order.  Your communication has drained me considerably.  I shall feel very constrained until this matter is sorted out.  The danger and possibility of Vula "going" through my miscalculations stands starkly before me now. Rather than tread uncertainly and unhappily with this albatross, I shall attempt to rest and secure myself and thereby also Vula.  Before I know which decisions may or may not imperil work I shall take none.

Bye

JUNE 20

Hello to all at Lobby on the twentieth of June.  Here it is cold and we all have flu.

URGENT MESSAGE TO CARL AND ALL AT LOBBY

Message from Daniels and Theo

No one to visit Daniel's house at Lobby.  Message from Kate indicates possible surveillance and that Kate is leaving the country in view of this.  She is not green and would be able to assess and has been here before so do not touch at all.

1.     SALARIES was received okay.  Saw Daniels this evening who sends greetings to you all.  A bit of press coverage about the new arrivals going to the NEC meeting in the press today and mention of 29th including picture in Business Day.

2.     TO CARL FROM THEO

I made my observations on the totality of the reports from you.  Don't take umbrage at the fact that I am completely against training somebody from Doris in communications at this stage.  You know my sensitivity about revealing our main communications system.  Also in your presence when Nora brought Michelle we agreed that she would act as a courier and be available every weekend.  It is more cumbersome and more expensive but no different from Doris communications with HQ and the Forward Areas until now and generally in the past.  For us to rush into this would be a grave mistake.

For the rest you can take umbrage but there is no need to be in a huff and say you are going "to rest".  I put frankly my main disappointment at the fact that there were no inputs for strategy of how we are to move forward in the light of your knowledge that the decision for anybody to surface was made precisely to advance our work and that I wanted our perspective to be a collective one.

What is urgent: in principle the smaller meeting which preceded the NEC-ILC meeting currently taking place, has accepted with small amendments the structure that suits us.  It did not go into examination of the individuals comprising the Vula Head Committee (VHC) which means it assumes that the 6 names we put up will sail through.  If this matter does proceed in this way without problem and is finalized, the next key step is for the six to get together and plan how they are to function, prepare strategy as well as look at how the external part of our work will be attended to.  However it is unlikely that Pete will be here at the moment but if things go well even in Pete's absence it is necessary that the 5 get together and this is not going to be easy.  Nonetheless, the picture may become a little clearer by the time this meeting ends on Friday and therefore we need to start thinking of getting together at the earliest which is likely to be some time next week.  We mention this so you can prepare to be on standby.

TO CARL AND MARSHA FROM THEO

Meanwhile you have news of the Party press conference and the CC decisions (contained at the end of the IPB) including that the national rally is scheduled for 29th July.  There is a desperate need that Natal starts preparations now at every level.  Marsha is in a position to make contact and initiate from the overt.  We need to get the planning underway to ensure the biggest contingent from Natal.  We are relying on Marsha and Carl to do the initiating and pushing in Natal and that work needs to start immediately.  We are hoping that if and when the meeting of VHC mentioned above materializes, Carl will bring us a report on this.

TO CARL ABOUT FUNDS

You stated that in your last communication you have given Clive R5,000 but this may not be enough for the two trips this coming weekend.  We can put aside from here R5,000 minimum.  So either borrow from on that basis or if somebody is going we will send this money through to you.

We understand that there should be 30,000 sterling at Cleo (we are still awaiting confirmation that it is with John) and are arranging the conversion.  Boris should not be helped back and we are in a position to look positively at whatever comes from Francis and the ZoPC.

RE CONTACTING DORIS

Suzy will try and contact Nora/Molly to make arrangements re return of Paula.  As I have no idea of any other tasks apart from communications that you were planning to go to Doris for and since you have decided on the basis of my harsh words "to rest", we agree to your deciding not to go to Doris at this stage.

Maybe after the VHC meeting you will do so.

That's the lot – sorry lots of urgent messages but so it goes.  Greetings from Theo, Daniels and Suzy.

JUNE 20

Page 578, Reference 30:

[] maharaj/ vula comms/1990/ [] June 20 should read:

[] maharaj/ vula comms/1990/ [] July 11

(it was however included in the documents I received under June 20 – po'm)

JUNE 21

FILE NAME : NOTE.DEC

URGENT URGENT URGENT

When you come up to Jessie please bring two pistols (any) and one revolver (preferably the one that was at the couple's place).

Thanks from Theo.

Andy also asks for you to please bring his small radio which is on the dressing table at his place.

Greetings to all that's it Suzy

JUNE 24

FILE NAME : R24JUN

Just briefly for CARL from THEO

NEC meeting took place on Saturday and it approved the overt structure with its key sub-committees: the Political and Organizational Committees.  In the case of the Organizational Committee (OC), the NEC approved 14/15 names which included Vula 6 that we had recommended.  The Chair of the OC is Tshwete and Secretary is Popo.  The OC is due to meet on Monday afternoon – i.e. those of its members who are in town.  At this stage one of us will simply indicate that you are abroad.  But in the meantime I am trying to get the 4 of us who are presently at Jessie together to have a preliminary meeting tomorrow evening so as to avoid any one of the 4 taking up commitments which will make it difficult for the Vula HC to get together.  At this preliminary meeting I hope to arrange for the 5 of us to have a proper prearranged meeting.  I know Chris is due to leave to Transkei and Ciskei after mid-week.  But as soon as I have seen them all tomorrow I will send you word as to the best day for the prearranged meeting which I think you should be present at.  At the moment, if I was to take a guess, it would look like the coming weekend or early next week.  How does that fit with your schedules?  I also think that we will need for this meeting an inventory of all the hardware etc that we have.  Will try to get Jean to prepare report of the NEC and the ILC meeting both for you and for the RPC and hopefully this will reach you by Wednesday.

In the meantime we have had word from Cleo that Donald will be coming into the country around the end of June.  Besides the equipment you already have it appears that Ntaba's outfit is currently required to store two pieces which were in the hands of the enemy group planning Madiba's assassination.  From the description that Ntaba gave me, one of the pieces seems to have an optical sight and given the internascent struggle within the enemy camp I am attracted to borrowing one of those pieces if it is suitable for use by us even if on a temporary basis. It would be good to know how you feel about that aspect of the project and whether our information is being updated re those potential targets.  We will have to keep Donald under a tight rein if he is to be productive.

We have word from Pete that Andy has been using the pickup to send notes to his wife and an appeal from Pete to have that practice stopped as our channels can be used to satisfy those needs.  I hope to see Andy about this soon.

We shall have to re-look at the question of how you surface in the light of the mechanisms that are developing for the entry of people but I think it is best that we discuss this when you come over so that we can decide how best to approach matters.

We have had word from John indicating that the 30,000 sterling for Vula and the 30,000 sterling for Phillip were originally supposed to be transferred to us via Ntaba internally (I suppose TG had made arrangements for local funds on the ground).  This was not done.  However John informs us that the latest is that SG and TG have frozen all disbursements to all structures – which means that the money is not there.  SG will be arriving from Namibia tomorrow night and hope to tackle with him and Kay to get a speedy resolution.  Please inform Phillip of the state of affairs in case he is making arrangements for exchange of his part of the funds through his own channels; but again in this case you can add that I will be seeing Ntaba tomorrow to try and get the money released.

It would be good to hear from Marsha and you as to how you are approaching the organizing of the Natal side of participation in the rally of 29th July.  We are hoping to have a circular letter ready for the CCs and the Units asking for them to undertake work in the respective regions so that we can ensure that the launching is a success and national in character.

Dat's all for now.  Greetings to all in Lobby.

JUNE 26

R18JUN1  IN BOOK No. 2

26/06/90

Sorry to have to get you back to this again but Theo wants this to reach Carl before he moves which seems like it is tomorrow.  Please confirm that you get it to him.  Hope you are okay.  Missing you all. Suzy.

FROM THEO TO CARL – 18 JUNE

1.     Got back on Friday morning and it is clear that even in the present conditions with some precautions it is possible to link up with Suzy and all of you.

2.     I understand the pressures that you all were under but cannot fail to express disappointment that the input that we expected re u/g etc to be in my hands by the 15th was not attended to.  I think we need to be clear that the reasons for my surfacing and ditto Daniels, was to facilitate our work and above all to enable the structuring of the overt as well as of the entire u/g takes place on a correct foundation.  Without our considered inputs and hence a correct relationship between overt/covert everything we do can be reduced to meaningless efforts.  I thought we all understood this.  However, the meeting of the 16th did not materialize.  It takes place tomorrow and thereafter comes the larger Indaba.  At the latter one hopes that since the meeting is devoted to the organization of the overt body there will be space at the national level to correct problems even at Southern Natal level.  Even in regard to this problem there is no clear further report of developments which would enable me to take it up using facts which come from an authoritative level.  But we will see what we can do.  At the same time therefore it is necessary to emphasise that while we are attending to many details and important questions unless at the lead level of Vula we clearly attend to the larger and priority items we will be failing our duty.

3.     Re finances :  I think there is too much confusion on this question.  I am attending to the question of getting the funds from abroad and exchanging it.   Presently I am looking for 20% rate.  But again I had left you with R110,000-00.  Is this all finished?  I had assumed that this would carry us through to the end of June.  But it seems you are already borrowing.  However, the present position is that it seems that there is 30,000 sterling coming through for the ENTIRE Vula operation in all regions.  Next there is 30,000 coming for the Retailer.  Of this, today at the Organising Committee for the rally for the launching of the Retailer we have found we need R40,000 for the sound system.  Approximately R50,000 for the July issue of Umsebenzi and R50,000 for the ground hiring.  We have therefore asked Cde Kay to urgently arrange more funds for the retailer.  I am giving you these figures for you to appreciate that the amount of funds available is limited and we have to always watch our expenses.  There is also supposed to be 30,000 sterling handed over to John for Phillip's outfit.  At this stage it is not clear when this money will be handed to John.  But it was agreed with Ntaba that we will centralize the handing over of funds at Cleo to John.  That we will attend to the exchange and will give Ntaba's outfit the amount realized in rand value.  Please inform Phillip that this 30,000 sterling should be with our person in Cleo soon.  If he wants to arrange the exchange himself then he should let me know through you and we will facilitate the necessary communications.  Unless I hear otherwise I will assume that it is okay that we give him the rand value though I would much rather be relieved of this type of task.  However on the basis that we will give the rand value and because we are hoping to find 20% it will take a week or two to arrange it.

4.     I think it is urgent that at the conclusion of the forthcoming NEC meeting which finishes on Friday, that the Vula head committee should meet not only to look at on-going work and the direction in which we want to move but how we are to go national.  I am a bit surprised that Nora is going back to Doris;  Paula has gone to Doris; you are going to Doris; you expect Suzy in Doris and your reference to the need for a modem leads me to draw the conclusion that you have in mind already getting somebody stationed in Doris as a communication person.  I had reported to you that I was reluctant to make this move at this stage; that I had asked what exists at Doris to mark time (as I had reported we have to look carefully how and where Molly is deployed and that we needed to avoid a situation where Molly who does not know the Western Cape terrain should come to head that area's UG and thereby make it even more difficult to restructure); that I thought that the next move re Doris would be for one or more of us to go and spend a reasonable period of time properly acquainting ourselves with what exists, the nature of the terrain, the security problems which were highlighted by the need for Christopher to take cover in Jessie.  All this because that area has its special political problems which even manifest themselves in the current ILC there.  I am therefore unable to appreciate why you are rushing to draw that area as it exists into a tight relationship with Vula.  You were present when Michelle was introduced by Nora and arrangements were made that Michelle could serve as a courier at the present stage so that we are in communication with the area – therefore I am even more puzzled that we should rush to set up our most valuable communication system and entrust it to anyone in that area without us having a thorough picture of that person's reliability and safety.  What is more Suzy is in a sensitive and strategic area, Paula is in communications at Lobby – how many people are going to know of them at Doris?  People that we have not yet satisfied ourselves are safe and are working in the correct style.  Are we not running the danger that not only will the head committee of Vula go but that our entire communications structure will go.  I think we need to think about these questions.  I am sure you have good reasons for going to Doris and ditto Nora.  And if Nora needed a driver there are other people available at Lobby who could have performed that function.  So I am saying I am a little puzzled when our approach so far has been to only expand by taking bites which we can really chew so that we avoid becoming what Lusaka became as an HQ in terms of strategizing, planning and supervising developments; and we avoid becoming at lower levels of our structure what the Forward Area machineries became.  I am putting this matter frankly because both my absence and Jean's absence was known to you to be a very temporary absence.  I left around 3 June on the basis that I would be back by the 15th.  From the time of my departure to now, I find you repeatedly on the road (and to some extent I understand that); Suzy has been once to Lobby in this period (that too I understand); Andy has moved two trips back and forth; Nora who is being hunted high and low is on the way back to Doris (that I don't understand because if it is that dump what is a few weeks delay in rescuing that dump when nothing has been done to prepare the place to which the dump must be dispersed); Paula is now on the road (and that I don't understand at all).  All in all it is necessary for us to plan to meet because I too after the NEC meeting can start flying around the country with quite a bit of justification eg having to organize the rally of the 29 July with the consequence that what should be a collective at the top of Vula will become Lusaka.  Above all please no one at this stage at Doris's is to be trained with the communications technique or to be equipped until we have had a proper discussion of the candidates that you bring forward with this task.

JUNE 26

FILE NAME : MAINTAIN

Just sending this for your info.

It is the press release at the Press Conference today (19 June) which am told went very well (about 45 journalists and lots of trade unionists who work around the place milling about and making the small room look really full.)  Has already been given a mention a few times on Radio 702 and picture  (Ndobe, Kay and Theo) plus article in the Star.

Did not get to see TV so don't know what was there.

PUBLIC LAUNCH OF THE LEGAL SOUTH AFRICAN COMMUNIST PARTY

PRESS STATEMENT

After 40 years of illegality, the South African Communist Party is to launch publicly on July 29th as a legal party.  Our objective is to rapidly build a strong, mass party, democratically answerable to both our membership and to our broader working class constituency.

The Communist Party never chose illegality out of preference.  In 1950 the apartheid regime, in one of its first attempts to suppress strong indigenous political traditions, banned the Communist Party.  South African communists were the first to be hit, but they were by no means the only.  In its bid to perpetuate white minority rule, the regime struck out at ever wider circles of democratic opinion in our country – the national liberation movements, liberals, religious believers – none were exempt.  In the face of this anti-democratic onslaught, our Party and its militants chose the only honourable course.

It has not been an easy path.  For building an underground Party we are accused by some of being conspiratorial.  But insofar as we are admired, it is because communists have always been in the front-rank of sacrifice.  More than a hundred Party members have lost their lives – some on the gallows in Pretoria, some in interrogation chambers, many others in the course of active duty.  Thousands more communists have endured long terms of imprisonment, detention, banning, exile, or the daily trials of underground struggle.

After 40 years of hunting us down as its most unswerving opponents, the apartheid regime has failed to obliterate communist ideas and communist organization within our country.  Today our Party and its objectives enjoy wider prestige and popularity than at any time in our 69 year history.

But we are launching our new, legal Party at a complex moment in the international situation.  In many countries of Eastern Europe socialism is in crisis, it has suffered some severe set-backs.  De Klerk and the ruling class now believe that this crisis will produce what 40 years of total suppression have failed to achieve – the discrediting of socialist ideology in South Africa.  They are wrong.

Nevertheless there are important lessons to be drawn from the present international situation.  Some Communist Parties might have failed the cause of communism.  Capitalism has failed humanity.

For the great majority of the earth's population, a world dominated by capitalism continues to mean a crushing debt burden, massive unemployment, declining living standards, starvation and epidemics.  Just as in South Africa, so on a world-scale, the glitter of capitalism in certain parts depends upon its squalid back-yards where the great majority of the population is confined.

The humane ideals embodied in communism remain more relevant than ever to our world, and to our country.  This relevance has been grasped by hundreds of thousands of patriotic South Africans.

It is, therefore, with a sense of demanding responsibility that we will be launching the SACP as a legal organization at a mass rally on July 29th in Soweto.  At the rally the Party will present to the public our internally based national leadership and our policy perspectives.

Amongst other things, we will underline our commitment to achieving a multi-party democracy in a united, non-racial South Africa.  We believe political pluralism is valid for now, for the transition period, and for a socialist future.  The SACP believes in freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and the right to full freedom of worship.

We reaffirm the leading role of the ANC in the immediate struggle for national liberation.  We believe that no meaningful emancipation for the majority of South Africa's people is possible without major redistribution of wealth, and without affirmative social and economic programmes.  The SACP believes that the interrelated tasks of liberation and nation building will best be realized through a democratic transition to socialism in the medium term.

If the conditions of real democracy are indeed created, we are firmly convinced that the transition to socialism will be peaceful.  Our Party looks forward to being able to present all these perspectives openly and legally to a truly non-racial South African electorate.

The SACP fully supports the present ANC-led negotiation initiative within the framework of the Harare Declaration, as endorsed by the OAU, the Non-Aligned Movement, and the United Nations.  We also fully endorse the perspectives contained within the Groote Schuur Minute.

The public launch of a legal SACP on July 29th will be a victory for the 40 years of dedication and struggle by our Party militants.  But it is also a victory for millions of South Africans, and particularly working people and militant youth.  It is they who have stood by our Party, rallied behind its flag, struggled in wave upon wave of mass defiance.

We believe that there are now real prospects for a relatively peaceful and genuine transfer of power to the people of South Africa as a whole.  Whether this happens or not depends more than anything on the politically mobilized working people of our country.  We call on them to intensify the struggle on all fronts.

Forward to a democratically elected Constituent Assembly.

If the conditions of real democracy are indeed created, we are firmly convinced that the transition to socialism will be peaceful.  Our Party looks forward to being able to present all these perspectives openly and legally to a truly non-racial South African electorate.

The SACP fully supports the present ANC-led negotiation initiative within the framework of the Harare Declaration, as endorsed by the OAU, the Non-Aligned Movement, and the United Nations.  We also fully endorse the perspectives contained within the Groote Schuur Minute.

The public launch of a legal SACP on July 29th will be a victory for the 40 years of dedication and struggle by our Party militants.  But it is also a victory for millions of South Africans, and particularly working people and militant youth.  It is they who have stood by our Party, rallied behind its flag, struggled in wave upon wave of mass defiance.

We believe that there are now real prospects for a relatively peaceful and genuine transfer of power to the people of South Africa as a whole.  Whether this happens or not depends more than anything on the politically mobilized working people of our country.  We call on them to intensify the struggle on all fronts.

Forward to a democratically elected Constituent Assembly.

JUNE 28

FILE NAME : R29JUN2

Hello all at Lobby nearly end of month June 28

Received message of 26th okay (S26JUN1) and passed on section for Pete.

FROM THEO TO CARL

a)     Hope to resolve financial crisis of Bula and Phillip by this Friday/Saturday. However this will be on the basis that the organization will deliver to us here the EQUIVALENT of 30,000 sterling for Vula and an additional 30,000 sterling for Phillip.  So if Philip has made arrangements/undertakings etc for exchange he must take into account that the money will reach me via SG in local form.  I understand that Marsha will be here on Friday.  If money is on hand I shall send Phillip's and part of Vula through him.  Please indicate approximately how much you will need for your end.

b)     Dan is expecting to meet Kate this weekend in Jessy and will get report re car, possessions, etc.  She seems OK but Dan not sure of problem.

c)     The meeting of the 4 took place and given the different schedules it was decided to hold planned meeting of the 5 Vula HC on Thursday next week.  So you will need to be here for that.  However, I think it would be better for you to come up a couple of days earlier so that we can meet and prepare agenda, etc (yourself, myself and Dan).  As such, I am suggesting that you come up on Monday evening/Tuesday morning.  Although from your last message you have indicated that this will not affect your schedule, what is the latest re your connection with Brazzo and facilitating his arrival as this should also be catered for.

SUZY TO CARL

1)     I gave you a disk which had the file (deciphered) regarding the usage of yeast.  As it seems you are not sure where it is I have included in this sending in a separate file (called COPY) the details re yeast.

2)     Below are notes to remind sisters re merging and dividing files.

3)     Also included in this sending in separate file (called LAUNCH) is a copy of the Briefing Document from the Johannesburg 29th rally committee.  Aside from issues raised also think that it would be useful for suggestions of slogans to start being pulled together to give time for people to prepare.

4)     Andy now has Cressida.  He is okay but still has a number of things which have not been finalized.  He went to the place where the shacks have been built but they could not proceed as a result of the number of people around and felt that before making an approach should rather do more reco of the area and movement around.  The car is still not sorted out and the guy claims he took it into the garage on Friday last week but Andy has not been able to confirm.  Apart from that he has been looking for accommodation and is finding that it is not so easy but is still persisting.  He has been back to Norma again and seems to have completed sorting out that side for the moment.  Have given him copies of IPB.

5)     Received message from Joe re another Toyota Cressida 2 litre 1986/87 model he decided to buy that end – it seems that no progress re BMW.  Apparently he was in Lobby day before yesterday so maybe you saw him and have discussed this.  Anyway he is now wanting the names and address details for the vehicle.  I am not sure what to do – whether to give Nora's details or not.  I don't know anything more about this car and don't know whether this is suitable for Nora.  Also don't know re BMW.  Please advise.

6)     Am taking the Kadett to his people at the end of week when the Jetta comes out of garage.

7)     The couple send their greetings and said that they have video (forgotten name) you have been wanting to see.  They also have recording of Nelson's address to Congress which was on 702.  Don't know whether you heard it, but it is worth listening to.  Incidentally, Jenny is really not dealing with the situation any more.  I think when you come up, you and Theo have to look at this situation fully.

This resource is hosted by the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory, but was compiled and authored by Padraig O’Malley. Return to the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory site.