About this site

This resource is hosted by the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory, but was compiled and authored by Padraig O’Malley. It is the product of almost two decades of research and includes analyses, chronologies, historical documents, and interviews from the apartheid and post-apartheid eras.

ANC NEC Meeting February 15

MINUTES OF THE NEC OF 15 FEBRUARY 1990

FILE NAME [NEC]
DISK NAME [E8]
DATE [90/02/27]

Present:     SG, TG, J Nkadimeng, J Slovo, D Tloome, J SS, J Sele, J Stewart, A Pahad, J Zuma, J Molefe, S Makana, S Tshwete, T Mbeki, C Hani, G Shope, R Mompati, R September, S Dlamini, R Manci, AMP Jordan, SM.

Excused:     OR, JM (OAU Lib Comm), S Mabizela (Ditto), HM (treatment), M Maharaj, R Kasrils, T Mokwena (now out of hospital).

Press given 5 minutes to take photos.

National Anthem.

Cde SG made opening remarks. (Copy of statement available).

-     Call for National Conference on December. Is it feasible?

-     Call for ANC to respond to De Klerk's gestures.

-     Comments directed to issue of armed struggle, e.g. local call to (to TASS) to ANC to suspend armed struggle.

-     Question of establishment of relations with SA (Zaire, Gabon, Malagassy – making moves)

-     Find balance between armed struggle and moratorium

-     Why Ratsiraka feels ANC/De Klerk should be assisted to find solution.

-     Refer to past success in stopping dialogue.

Agenda:

Addenda

-     DIP document put under item 5.

-     Document on women to be appropriately fitted into agenda.

Tshwete: Presented PMC document plus addendum which includes items like: Mandela's role (leader of broad patriotic front).

Point two of agenda:

PJ: On what appeared in Govt. Gazette. Needs to be scrutinized by both D.L.C.A. and legal advisors inside (c.f. Internal Security Act of 1974 & 1982) with respect to the unban – the decree seems to repeal only certain aspects to the Internal Security Acts.

-     Refer also to paper prepared by Cde Maduna, which makes a similar point.

-     PMC document takes a reactive posture (that we are reacting to De Klerk). But situation is not of De Klerk's making. It would be better if the PMC document had based itself on projections we have made foreseeing the present developments e.g. 1985 document on negotiations which called for pursuit of Dual Power. This should be one of the principal focuses.

JS: Telex of interview with De Klerk on "return of exiles" indicating possible arrest of returnees. On armed struggle we should be aware that suspension is not yet an issue between us & regime. They insist on commitment to peaceful changes (which we did in our last NEC statement).

We maintain position that cessation of hostilities is a matter of negotiation.

On war of positions: (with regime). We won first phase (Harare Declaration). The 2.2.90 speech was De Klerk's response. Need to judge this realistically – De Klerk ill defined readiness to move should not be simply dismissed. Do what we can without losing our positions to encourage the process. Need a tactical ploy to unfreeze the stalemate so that we maintain our initiative. (The reality is that there have been talks, exchanges, outside of negotiations.)

Proposal: We should be ready to say that if De Klerk declares his readiness to begin negotiations on process of moving towards majority rule, we are ready to discuss further moves towards creating the negotiation climate.

Tea break.

SG: To give floor to Cde Thabo on recent meetings with people from the regime's side.

JZ: Add also report on exchanges in Stockholm.

SG: This is contained in the statement issued 2.2.90

Questions relating to organisation – report to PMC. On question of ban lifted: preliminary suggestions on ANC reorganization to come from group on N.M., W.S., G.M., and Ray M. with other u/g cdes. We expect the report today by special courier. Also report from inside of likelihood of people settling up their own Anc's. Hence need for control.

TM: Over weekend met in UK a group of Afrikaners. B. Esterhuysen, De Klerk's Henni de Blanche (stockbroker), Marius Darling (SANLAM), Gert Marais (Ed. of Afrikaans Business paper), Artie du Plessis (Wimpie de Klerk could not come – sent apology, and proposed to come alone to Lusaka).

Comments: (Wimpie) that De Klerk and government finally realize they need to deal with ANC for solution. Also understands our response will be coloured with rhetoric. Further demands should be discussed in a meeting. They say:

-     De Klerk first had to act in State Security Council (SEC)

-     Has now constituted a team to follow discussions on the……

-     Accept that climate has not been met (SOE, political prisoners and security legislation)

-     SOE decision taken to lift but not announced since whites understood it as basic to their security. Will find convenient time to announce.

-     Rebel cricket tour: were concerned by police actions, pushing climate away. Compromise was to curtail tour. (NSC proposal) Second leg of tour for later in year would also be cancelled. (SA Cricket Union wasted continuation and only cancel 2nd leg.)

-     Security of ANC leadership: De Klerk felt time had come to make a clean break with the right. But this increases chances of right wing terror. They propose meeting of teams from ANC and regime's side (own people participating in security – and armed). Want quick meeting (1st meeting).

-     Release of political prisoners: 5 categories: long term, detaineed, furthering aims, crimes committed in pursuit of objectives. Last 2 causing concern. Propose meeting. Have problems with constituencies. Propose exchange of their detainees for the last 2 categories. Also want to raise their people in Zimbabwe and Botswana. Meeting where they bring the list of 2 categories and those held in Front Line States and we bring our detainees (names) 2nd meeting.

-     Security legislation: Accept legitimate concern. We should seek clarification (3rd meeting)

-     General View:

(i)     Nats accept that no solution without ANC. Therefore important that ANC is strong; does not act in manner that marginalizes itself e.g. push process by testing De Klerk e.g. that NEC decided to delegate prople to consult leadership and MDM.

(ii)     Apartheid cost high and should be reduced.

(iii)     If three meeting take place, then we could seek meeting with De Klerk to iron out remaining conditions for climate.

     

(iv)     Nats accept that in maximum 5 years will not be ruling party (possibly disappear). They consider this a decisive break, psychologically and very important.

(v)     Necessary at times that NEC not merely repeats what is expected but also be bold e.g. white misinformation on ANC (from own propaganda) needs to be corrected by ANC.

(vi)     Address not only political and constitutional matters but also "quality of life" i.e. education, employment, housing, health. (They, as businessmen, do not agree with nationalization) but a start on others can be made.

(vii)     Internal Security Act has to be repealed by Parliament. But De Klerk could announce a freeze of police action on political activists (arising from discussions).

(viii)     Propose meeting on 6th April (this group) to include economists in Industry to discuss mainly business aspect.

While there they received advance information on release (this was not attempt to outwit ANC but to move fast). Reason ostensibly that De Klerk was upset by police action in 1st ANC meeting in Jhb since the unban.

Nhlanhla: They also asked for immediate ceasefire by ANC. (Likened De Klerk move to Bannister breaking 4 minute mile barrier.) We need clarity at every stage, what is agreed etc. Appeals for change of methods of discussion. Need precision on each point.

FM: What did our delegation say?

Thabo: We reiterated ANC positions. On specific proposals that they would report to HQ.

Nhlanhla: It came out clearly that ANC position of no "secret negotiations" has to accommodate need for some contact (e.g. on NM security) or for clarifying certain issues.

Hani: Our people and the world awaiting outcome. We have to provide answers to Thabo's report (also useful intelligence). On negotiations there is general pressure internationally. Also pressures from our own people. Need to be careful that negotiations does not become the main terrain of our struggle. But building our own forces constituted our backbone.

-     We should not substract from our declared positions.

-     There is also cry for help with the right wing.

-     No danger of marginalization if we are strong. Also need our cdes released, within the package of Harare Declaration – pressures (e.g. from host) are common on Liberation Movements. Acceptable compromises must be those which will not weaken your position. Build ANC – not just testing De Klerk but go in to build the ANC. Armed struggle – we cannot be seen to compromise – we need to meet NM and harmonise positions.

Molefe: Did political prisoners include those on death row?

Thabo: Yes. But De Klerk has suspended hangings.

PJ: On Thabo's report – there is need for ANC response and not merely repeat of old positions. The essence of old positions is still correct, but to find new ways.

-     Tone of Afrikaner delegation is that we are essentially cooperating forces with regime and yet we are opposed forces. This does not negate benefits from measures by De Klerk. Difference in assisting De Klerk to maintain the pace and forcing the pace.

-     On the 3 meetings:

-     the exchange idea neglects difference between prisoner of war and spies.

do we have our own agenda in contrast to De Klerk's agenda. We have, but it suffers from NEC forgetfulness. Refers to 1985 negotiations document (quotes from it….on regime constraints). Document was for promoting ANC capacity and neutralizing regime force.

-     possibility of ANC victory without armed combat.

-     NM suggested that 2 parties stop talking past each other. But there is no balance in the delegations. In future they must not field middlemen when we field NEC.

ST: Supports JS (need to move away from reiterating old position)

Proposals: Accept meeting [1], accept meeting [2], accept meeting [3]. If meetings will release our comrades, why not?

J Nhlanhla: Obstacles in way of negotiations which need to be removed. Situation potentially favourable to create dual power.

Options:

i.     NM and other leaders continue working to remove obstacles inside.

Ii     Machinery to handle issues between ANC and regime (e.g. security). Ready give regime its murderers if we get our comrades safe and back to us. Negotiation position still stands: the new element is removal of obstacles to negotiations.

Armed struggle: mutually agreed ceasefire means 2 parties – ANC and regime – and needs to be resolved fast. We are ready to begin talks. We must maintain position of armed struggle as defensive action.

Sanctions: to be maintained.

Lunch Break.

JC: Chair: Proposes that we dispense of 2 question:

i.     Be prepared to have talks, and acknowledge this, about the implementation of conditions for climate for negotiations.

ii.     That we have talks to remove obstacles to negotiations.

Before the meeting could get into these questions, a feeling was expressed to allow people to reflect on how we see the situation.

JZ: At time of presentation of Harare Declaration, the initiatives was on ANC side. Now De Klerk has come back with some moves. De Klerk has attended to 2 crucial questions:

a.     unbanning of ANC et al

b.     releasing NM and others

Consensus that JZ's characterization is correct. Chair then goes back to the 2 questions.

Pahad: It serves our interest to go to the talks in our own interest and from a position of relative strength.

Tshwete: Support Aziz about new situation since 2.2.90 and we have to grapple with the new situation. De Klerk has said he is ready to meet ANC and the date lies with ANC. Thabo's delegation is not completely outside the govt. circles.

-     supports idea that ANC affirms readiness to meet regime to clear obstacles.

-     Readiness to allow our cadres to be armed in securing leaders marks the beginning of dual power.

-     Proposes not 3 separate meetings but deal with 3 issues in one meeting.

Chair: Let us dispose of the principle.

FM: Victory not only for ANC. Western powers also consider it their victory but their aim is to destroy us, reduce us to just another of the organizations not NLM.

John NK: Agrees for talks.

Ruth: Not opposed in principle to talks. But this should follow on what we say to our people. We need to throw a challenge to regime e.g. that we are coming in order to talk to our people.

-     need to take decision to talk after consulting internal leadership.

-     Need new rallying call – e.g. people to demand constituent assembly.

-     Removal of obstacles should be organized to come from the ground.

TG: We took certain decision allowing certain people to make contacts (not public) with regime emissaries. Also endorse no talking to regime. Are we now saying that this is not adequate.

JJ: Regime is on the move to wrench initiative from us and we need to move with speed. In the past we said we shall not have talks with regime, but, in order to retain initiative we agree:

i.     NM should continue joined by WS and others.

ii     Have people from outside joining that team e.g. Thabo.

Iii.     We have to explain to our people but not necessarily prior to talks.

Thabo: We should not retreat in any of the Harare positions.

i.     Therefore we say we are talking to achieve implementation of Harare conditions.

ii.     Talks on political prisoners should not replace campaign for release of political prisoners.

iii.     Ask leadership at home to make the approach. Internal cdes say the HQ is outside and they take guidance from it.

iv.     But actual discussions on some issues (e.g. security) cannot be discussed by anybody.

v.     On political prisoners exchange would be specialists.

vi.     Clarifying issues would be handled at Ministerial level (they have no problem to meet us at Ministerial level).

Agreed. We publicly acknowledge that we are prepared to proceed with talks for the purpose of getting the implementation of the balance of the preconditions of Harare Declaration.

Agreed to have talks on:

i.     security for leaders.

ii.     prisoner exchange

iii.     the points which relate to Harare Declaration (prisoners etc) to proceed but to send accredited representatives on the part of the regime.

Mechanism: NEC has taken decision and together with leadership will conduct talks. (Important that decision comes from NEC which decides the composition of the ANC delegation).

a.     A drafting group consisting of Thabo, Aziz, Pallo and Chris will draw up the statement.

b.     Cde SG mandated to inform people inside of the decision.

On the question of sending a delegation inside DECIDED:

That NEC has so decided. This appears in the statement. The timing devolves on NEC.

Item 3 of Agenda:

SG: Proposes that we get view of core group inside [reads document]. Title "Suggestions for setting up legal ANC structure" – 11.2.90 plus addendum with reservation on (a) structures (b) UDF.

First meeting (10.2.90) of core

-     consulted NM (still inside)

-     added HG, A. Mhlangeni, Cyril and Khalima.

Functions: Plan and direct under NEC until NEC is located inside. National HQ: Jhb. Bongani Scilishe – Organising Secretary.

Finance Committee: J. Lesolang; JW Singh; Dr Motsuenyane;Max Mphahlwa (W. Cape).

Initial Target: R1 million.

4 members. Jhb, Durban, PE and Cape Town. Control Commission under TG.

ANC Trust Fund Acct (2 signatures)

National Political Education Committee:

Zwelekhe Sisulu; Khehla Shubane; Sake Malozuma; Eric Molobi; Ray Suttner. Under HM.

Drafting syllabus for political education and monograph to be used by ANC members.

Membership cards -1 million to be printed and made available immediately.

Membership fee – graduated scale

a.     Professionals R200 per annum

b.     R1-2000 per month R100 per annum

c.     R500-100 R50 per annum

d.     less R500 pm R1 per annum

e.      unemployed free

f.     students and pioneers free

regional offices – 4 industrial areas: Jhb, Durban, PE and CT

To cope with influx:

a.     organizer with car

b.     office equipment

All funds for membership to remain in region.

Outlaying regions

N. Tvl – Pietersburg

OFS – Bloemfontein

Border – E London

Transkei – Umtata

NW Cape – Kimberley

Jhb – PWV and W. Tvl

Durban – PMB, Ladysmith, Dundee, Newcastle, Zululand

PE – G'stown, P. Alfred, Bedford and farming areas

Humansdorp – Knysna and George

W. Cape (CT) – Wynberg, Stellenbosch, Mossel Bay, Oudtshoorn

W. Cape (Kim) – Douglas, Upington, Springbok and farms

OFS – Bethlehem, Welkom, Odendaalsrust, Kroonstad, Paris

NB. National HQ offices to be separate from PWV offices.

UDF propose dissolution (duplication). Staff (if willing) to be spread in Regional offices.

ANC Constitution – Revise 1958 Constitution.

Annex. A – minority report

1. Structures - Core to prepare for emergency of a legal ANC. No conflict with general plan. Suggest pre ban ………… national, provincial, regional and branch levels. But 5 provinces Tvl, Natal, OFS, W. Cape, E Cape (up to Transkei)

Regions as they exist e.g. Soweto, Lenasia, Eldorado Park, Jhb to include Alex.

UDF: Side by side with ANC (for Civic associations, Resident ass.,)

Sports and Culture, religious bodies, taxi ass.

Comments: Provincial would increase bureaucracy without increasing efficiency but widen gap from grassroots.

Conta: SG and organizing secretary would have direct access to branches and regions.

If UDF is allowed to exist then ANC members must be encouraged to be active in UDF.

JC-Chair: First go back to 3.1. Item character of ANC under new conditions.

PJ: Find new constitution.

James Steward: Mass based with corporate structures.

JZ: Mass based: branches. Membership open (not conditional to acceptance of armed struggle). Different layer for armed struggle.

Ruth: Mass based.

TG: On 1958 constitution: falls short of accommodating all SAn people (but to encompass 1969 Morogora and NCC 11 decisions).

Steve T: Supports branches and power – zones street committees.

SG: Core document to be discussed under 3.1.

Aziz: Mass based but politically strong. Leave out armed struggle conditionally. If conditions have been met then u/g has different character.

Thabo: What is it that would remain underground in a legalized organisation?

JS: In leadership core there is an u/g operator.

MP: Mass based: exist at 2 levels (above and under). Even for above level we shall need discipline and delectivity of membership. Need for a policy and constitution (revise 1958 to be in line with present day ANC).

JS: Missing is the basis of accepting membership (minimum requirements) e.g. policies in basic documents e.g. Freedom Charter etc.

SG: Document from core is a contribution to what should have been an NEC document. Therefore the need for a special session to discuss the core document.

FM: On aims and objects: that ANC is an NLM not Civil Rights movement fighting for social emancipation.

TG: If we want legal AC then let us get on with it. The u/g is a later question.

Ruth: Cannot dissolve the existing u/g.

JS: New ANC (open) will not affect u/g. They will be separate and only coordinated at top level.

TG: Need to be honest to ourselves. We have never succeeded in creating a proper u/g.

Thabo: As we go into uncertain ground, we shall need our own security organs etc. Even after suspending hostilities, we have to keep our units.

JS: Refer core document to PMA to prepare for NWC discussion.

SG: This may be possibly at a joint meeting with NM.

Molefe: Problems for building u/g will be based with legality. But we need to be clear on its tasks.

JS: Add this point for PMC examination.

JJ: Alert on imminent arrival of NM possibly on Tuesday 20.2.90.

SG: Need to control the coming of NM.

Thabo: Supports idea and need to define exact purpose.

Discussion on NM's mission to Lusaka.

Thabo:

i.     Another meeting with home leadership on our ideas for future.

ii.     FLS were asked to do certain things and we need to get feed back from FLS (e.g. funds required and specialized training etc constitutional drafting). We therefore need a planned FLS meeting.

iii.     The international visits e.g. Zimbabwe, Ethiopia (OAU).

iv.     Natal situation – intervention by leadership.

v.     Uitenhage situation building up to Natal situation.

JS: Other side is that cdes are aware of NM being needed inside.

Ruth: NM is considered ANC leader but has no official capacity. Maybe wants to come immediately to clarify issues. With previous leaders they did not have time for serious discussions.

SG: With FLS the NM situation differs from the 8. It is not us asking FLS but them demanding to meet NM. We would of course prepare programme with KK.

Steve T: NM can come to Lusaka and back even next Tuesday.

Reg: Make room for earliest NM arrival and on way back via Harare.

JS: Plan 2 NM trips.

TG: Let NM come, even tomorrow. PM's of Australia, Canada, Malaysia ready to come to Lusaka.

Thabo: He can come even today but we must be clear to the purpose. Not only him but other leaders.

Aziz: NM to make input to agenda.

SG: To NM. NEC ready to receive him; when does he think it possible. We then suspend everything and prepare for that meeting. Thereafter speaks to WS to invite them at that time.

SG: NM has already applied for passport and hopes to get it next week. Requests to be able to see OR. For rest of programme NEC should decide. SG failed to get WS or others. But mentioned to Albertina to inform WS that opinion is that NM should not come alone. They have urgent issues e.g. Natal. Perhaps GM would accompany NM.

JS-Chair: That trip of NM should be to Lusaka and Stockholm and back.

SG: Additionally NM would like to pay respects to grave of his mother but this would wait till Lusaka trip.

JZ: Question of NRC and the International Reception Committee, FLS, OAU, etc.

TG: NM should come to NEC only and then a later trip for world tour.

JS: Question of NM being received by the world directly contributes to weakening of the regime.

Thabo: Harare, Lusaka, Addis, Stockholm.

JS: NM should announce itinerary and reasons and the later international tour. Cable – cde HM delayed till Friday on medical grounds.

JS: Can PMC be ready by Wednesday next week with the core document.

Agreed – NEC meets next Wednesday.

SG: WE also set up a sub committee to deal with the question of the ANC constitution. President's committee to make proposal.

Back to agenda – item 3.1

JS: Ideas to be floated on how MK is to relate to other structures.

Chris: Present situation: MK inside and outside. January alone operations. Process of infiltrating continues. It will be important to increase MK members inside. Enemy continues shooting people. MK can march in streets but not shoot.

1. It will be important to define what type of operations e.g.

     -     scrupulously avoid civilian casualties

     -     enemy installations, sub-stations and in a defensive role.

     -     enemy personnel (selective bases) those notorious for brutality.

This is all meant to highlight that there is war with two armies confronting each other.

Chair: How do we publicly respond on the question of armed struggle?

Steve T: MK operations to be defensive.

Molefe: The defensive position should be used for the offensive.

Sindiso: Cdes should also indicate the views of the branches and units they addressed on this question. Personal view that emphasis be on strengthening both u/g and building regular forces. Actions but restrained and defensive.

Nhlanhla: No unilateral renunciation of violence. We need to build MK even at legal level and push for its recognition and non persecution.

JS: Reads from NM speech on armed struggle "factors which necessitated armed struggle still exist" and express hope that climate will be created which will not necessitate armed struggle.

SS: Maintain armed struggle: need to conduct exchange with certain personalities to maintain positions in Harare Declaration.

JS: What do we say about armed struggle now:

1. nothing.

2. escalate, or

3. a formula that we will continue to act defensively.

James Stewart: Defensive meaning that at some stage you may have to attack in a defensive move. Totally opposed to escalation.

Aziz: No escalation. A good example of defensive action would be actions against the warlords. No actions at this period.

Makana: Refer page 13 of De Klerk's statement – no grounds for armed struggle since ANC is now legal. Without making a public statement of ceasefire we should concentrate on building politico-military forces.

Chris: Hopes that De Klerk and his Cabinet have a similar discussion to reduce offensive but doubts it. When we say our people will not understand escalation, we cannot be referring to the daily harassed and shot. Even the spasmodic actions have contributed to the current situation; not to escalate but continue actions. When climate is there then ceasefire.

John Nk: Agreed not to call off armed struggle. But how we continue? We must build MK and act when convenient.

JS: Against public statement threatening to escalate. Not to take a public decision against armed struggle; endorse PNM's statement by talking of defensive violence.

Steve: First time in Southern Africa history we have a legalized army. Disagree with NM statement that situation is same as 1961. There were fears when the Harare Declaration was mooted but we exercised the leadership role and now the Declaration is accepted by both our people and the world. We should not make statements making claims we cannot fulfill.

Thabo: No unilateral ceasefire – but a negotiated cessation of hostilities. Need to correct position that creation of climate will make armed struggle unnecessary. Campaign of repression continues with all the positive moves; regime has not removed instruments which legalise police repression. Therefore the regime must end the campaign of terror. In that case we should not need defensive violence. A moratorium has got to be applicable on both sides.

Ruth: We all agreed that armed struggle must continue. Actually 1960 was a bit better today, when there is a reign of terror selective targets were agreed.

Tea Break.

Chair: Reads message from Canadian Foreign Minister.

The main question is:

i.     Do we suspend armed actions?

Ii     Is this the right moment to escalate?

SG: Information that Jesse Jackson arrives tomorrow (Friday 16.2.90) Time fixed at 14.00 and State House offers venue. *Decision: the delegation comes to meet NEC at Mulungushi.

SG: A new important element in the discussion. In public discussions we can start talking about a moratorium being a subject of discussion, building on both sides. Even question of security arrangements has a bearing on violent actions by police and security forces.

(Thea: sorry my time is up – will send you rest of minutes tomorrow morning – starting with 12)

FM: 1838 – Piet Retief and Dingaan. Not stop armed struggle.

G. Shope: Because the demands have not been met, we cannot suspend any of the pillars. Whether it is offensive or defensive will be determined by the circumstances. We should continue underground training.

Consensus: We do not suspend our armed actions. We do not assert that we are going to escalate.

Organisational aspects of MK.

Chris: Strategic stocks inside. Building MK inside calls for select cadres (MOW) for inside work. Necessary to emphasise dual power and helps with youth disciplines. Train more military and security cadres. Explore question of core for a regular SA army (select from inside suitably qualified cadres for officer corps); also upgrade our ranks.

Steve Tsh: This should apply similarly to NAT.

JZ: On regulars, where is stumbling block?

Chris: Arrange for training in existing camps and experts to be negotiated. Need to move communication.

SG: Feasibility of instilling patriotism in Bantustan army for creation of national army.

TG: Recruitment into an MK which is inside is crucial, together with officers from outside.

SS: Critical need of air command and coastline. A structured programme (by PMC, MHQ, and NAT) should be worked out.

Makana: Questions have been canvassed, what is lacking is implementation. Serious problem of political discipline and low academic levels.

MP: SAEP offered to arrange for training police etc.

*Consensus: All plans by relevant bodies should be reflected in a programme document to be ready by end of March.

*Consensus: Apart from MK guard inside, MK remains u/g. PMC should work out the interrelationships.

Agenda item 3.2

The document has been referred to the PMC and a report back meeting is scheduled for Wednesday.

Agenda item 3.3

SG: The extended NEC took a preliminary look at the question of a National Conference and it was resolved to organize a National Conference rather than NCC. With ANC unbanned the ff situation arises:

-     a preparatory structure inside

-     issue of constitution (revision committee)

Proposal: That arrangements proceed for an NCC-like meeting to consider current situation and serve as a preparatory stage for a truly National Conference (inside).

James St: NWC decided on 2 documents:

1. Draft report from SG – this is being prepared for consideration by end of Feb. The NPC should be based internally working closely with core.

2. Presidential report.

Chair:

1. National Conference (Dec. 16th inside)

2. NCC (pre-conference meeting)

3. Formalise internal preparations for conference

4. Constitution and any other documents which need to be prepared.

PJ: We are supposed to be ready for an NCCIII in June. We need to set concrete dates. We need venue and time for the preparatory meeting.

JZ: Several meetings of NWC have raised the question and no results. We must now take concrete steps to reconstitute the NPC.

*Decided: To confer tasks to President's Committee to propose the reconstituted NPC and pre-conference meeting date.

James St: The failure of NPC progress is due to poor attendance by NEC members.

Makana: For the new NPC we need to know exactly what documents (topics) to be presented for discussion.

JS: First task of the NPC is to prepare agenda. The NEC statement should contain the decision to change NCC II and also prepare for National Conference.

TG: The pre-conference will require funds. Propose regional conferences to precede the National Conference.

JZ: Propose an extended meeting of NEC to replace pre-conference meeting.

Nhlanhla: Mobilise a special fund for both pre-conference and conference.

Chair: Leave preliminary preparations of conference to later NWC meetings.

*Agreed.

SG: Reads message:

1. From NAFCOC

2. COSATU wants meetings with SACTU – 19th and ANC 20th.

Item 3.4

3.4.1     Future of MDM

Chair: Reminder of proposals from inside as well as the PMC position (page 4 point 3)

Steve Tsh: UDF will gradually merge into ANC, but certain member organizations will continue to exist and so there is no need to dissolve it immediately.

JZ: UDF is a Front which will remain necessary.

Aziz: Need to re-define UDF. The sectorial groups (women, youth) will have to be accommodated elsewhere.

PJ: There are still large groups who accept the democratic positions but found no place in ANC. UDF should be a feature which will not disappear.

Shope: Black Sash, Churches etc would still need UDF home. Women of SA distinct from ANC Women's Section.

James St: Future of UDF to be finalized at Conference.

Jackie Seleb: Leadership of UDF will go to ANC; some member organizations have decided to.

Sindiso: Suggest DPE to prepare a paper on National Democratic Fronts. This would guide decision on this question.

J Nhlanhla: Ask Sayco not to dissolve. Individuals from UDF affiliates will join ANC but it will be a long process.

Chris: to be discussed by UDF and its affiliates and we get their view.

TG: Supports Chris. ANC will also recruit from it.

Steve Tsh: We must also have a tentative view. All Congresses will join ANC. But like the Federation of Women, there were organizations which were not under ANC but mobilized larger groups into the democratic mainstream. Sub Committee would then prepare an ANC position in response to the core document.

SG: In 1961 we had to mobilize the All-in-Conference. It will be necessary in future to mobilize various groupings into the democratic mainstream. ANC will assign some members to actually remain in the bodies which affiliate the broader front.

NK: For retention of UDF.

*Consensus:

a.     No dissolution of UDF.

b.     Continue discussion with UDF and ANC (+ core) will work out who remains in their posts within UDF.

Other MDM sectors:

JJ: TIC and NIC are still discussing whether they should dissolve or not. But there are views that we should guide them to join the non-racial stream.

Aziz: TIC and NIC have actually taken the decision to dissolve.

Chair: On Jodac we wait for their proposals.

SG: Cde Reg had apologized for health reasons.

Item 3.4.2

John Nk: The Sactu Executive agreed at its meeting that Sactu should dissolve but this must be a process and not sudden. But asked for a tripartite meeting not just heads but delegations from the Alliance.

Dan T: Sactu was organized by workers and if it has to dissolve this should be done by Sactu and Cosatu.

MP: We have a right to discuss Sactu as ANC so that as ANC we have a considered view, which cannot be imposed but put forward for consideration.

Steve Dl: A delegation came to consult on creation of Cosatu and proper that with new situation we have to review. Although Sactu was not banned, its activists were persecuted.

*Consensus: Accept view of Sactu-NEC.

J. Mol: What about other members of the Alliance.

Chair: SACP is not likely to phase itself out and its functions are different.

*Consensus: Party (SACP) should continue to exist and the Alliance should continue, perhaps in a slightly new form.

Tea Break.

Agenda item 4

Item 4.1 was skipped.

Item 4.2.

J. Nhlanhla: Matter discussed in Stockholm. NAT directorate to discuss the matter with PMC and report to President's Committee.

Proposals:

-     draw from those inside (including ex Island).

-     Send from outside to organize security (NAT)

The actual programme for the security of the Leaders will be the direct responsibility of NAT. Time frame – NAT to report on Wednesday.

Item 4.3

MP: What we have by way of professional skills is not worth talking about. In 1988 in SA there were 22 black engineers. In 1989 there were about 79 Chartered Accountants. This is the picture in all professions. SA says that by the year 2000 it will be necessary to train 400,000 new skills. Can only train 40,000 from among whites. Typists, office secretaries, mechanics, are a major problem – low education levels (e.g. at start of DMD there were 50 sent for typing. Some were recalled because most were form 1 and only 7 passed) Attempts are being made to get qualified people from inside. ANC extension unit is helping to upgrade.

Proposals: Continue upgrading programme. Give in-service training.

SG: Concretely we have to staff new ANC offices.

i.     We have to ensure that we have enough funds to cater for ANC offices, administration, employing people inside.

ii.     SAEP trainees in administration.

iii.     Find the people trained in Administration.

MP: Have succeeded in introducing SAEP programme inside. Unfortunately there is as yet no coordination of various bodies to use the programme collectively. Later this will ensure better selection.

SG: Need for census of our trainees.

Ruth: At their branch the question of census was raised (reflecting levels). Also in Cape Town there is industrial mediation services.

PJ: Census question raised in his branch. Problem that cdes feel that several attempts have been made and these seem to disappear.

Proposal:

i.     NEC sets up a committee to conduct a census. Problem with Awolo's list is that there are a a lot of double entries.

ii.     Issue of membership cards, properly done and registered (with security vetting).

iii.     Question of central registry (births, deaths, etc).

*Decision: The task is entrusted to DMD to convene meeting with Secretariat to work out programme for realization of project.

SG: Reads letter (8.2.90) from the Simons on visiting SA for 3 weeks. UCT ready to send tickets for them and providing a flat for a month. 13.2.90 Another offer from UCT. Fellowship in UCT. Funds raised for returning exile academics for employment at UCT. Invitation for Lecture Tour.

*Decision: As a matter of exception cdes Ray and Jack are permitted to accept the invitation.

Proposed and agreed that PC meets and briefs the Simons before departure.

Meeting adjourned.

SG: Message from WS on meeting with people from Natal. Decided that 25th Feb there should be a rally in Durban, addressed by NM. Thus he comes 26th after rally. Also informed him on approved meetings with government officials (he approved). NM likely to be accompanied by A Mlangeni and R Mhlaba. Also that he touches Addis. In the next few days another document coming embodying NM opinion in time for Wednesday meeting.

Letter from S Mabizela – whether JM should go to Addis and himself (Stanley) to Oslo.

Chair: Draft statement to be ready by tea time.

Agenda item 5

Chair-JS: The item is placed in the light for decisions (taken or to be taken) that this looks at the coordination and gradual integration.

JZ: Links have been made mainly with MDM. We have to address this question in the light of an ANC legalized, except those which were already ANC structures, e.g. DIP inside to be assisted by DIP outside, to the point of transfer of manpower – also transfer of control gradually to the core.

SG: We should start thinking of NEC thinning down – with some going into coordinate transfer. President's Committee to make concrete proposals on "thinning".

*Adopted.

TG: Need to brief core on how these departments have operated.

J. Nhlanhla: At NAT level position firm. Various departments should prepare reports (briefs) about links with internal, to President's Committee so that before the information (briefs) is relayed to core, it is streamlined. A special sub-committee can be appointed to do the job for PC.

Ruth: Reinforce leadership core with staff from outside. DIP document an exemplary guide in dealing with transfer. PC sub-committee not be confined to NEC members. Worried about references to PC as happened with Stockholm. It is important that decisions should be referred to NWC for decision.

Steve Tsh: While approving of last para of PMC document, he finds the SG's proposal on "thinning" attractive.

PJ: Thought the item would relate directly to identification of essential departments to be internalized, in the interest of setting up ANC structures inside.

JS: The NEC "thinning" related directly to reinforcing the core.

J. Nhlanhla: We should also take into account other plans e.g. preparatory meeting for National Conference.

*Decision: Approve NEC reinforcement inside to report proposals of NEC members on Wednesday 21st.

Terms of Reference for PC

1. Building of ANC into mass organisation.

2. Contain levels of ANC (e.g. comparable to PMC, i.e. to do u/g work).

General direction of process of transfer should move towards working through the core.

Proposal: Standardise the briefs of depts..

i.     What links are there.

ii.     The tasks of the structures.

This resource is hosted by the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory, but was compiled and authored by Padraig O’Malley. Return to the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory site.