About this site

This resource is hosted by the Nelson Mandela Foundation, but was compiled and authored by Padraig O’Malley. It is the product of almost two decades of research and includes analyses, chronologies, historical documents, and interviews from the apartheid and post-apartheid eras.

ANC NWC Special Meeting April 7


PRESENT : A. Nzo, T. Nk, JS, CH, SS, S. Mab, P. Jord, S. Tsh., S. Dl, J. St, R. Mom, G. Sh, A Pah, J Nhl, JJ, T. Mong, S. Mf, HM


IN THE CHAIR : A Nzo opened the meeting. He tabled agenda. HM explained.

T. Mb : Cde NM indicated he is coming tomorrow.

JS : How long is he coming?

A Nzo : They have already decided that instead of coming A. Kath would give report by phone. But he is coming.

T. Nk : But he is supposed to attend the conference in London?

T. Mb : He will leave (for London) from home.

JS : I understand KK announced in the Press?

T. Mb : That was a mistake. We informed KK (of NM coming) and he was happy. Some doctors have asked KK to present a gift on their behalf to NM.

JS : Will there be another program for NM?

A Nzo : There is provision for him to pay a special call on KK. [He reads program.]

J Nhl : Where will he stay?

T. Mb : We thought on Tuesday we would brief him on all sorts of matters. We have spoken to State House and they said we can use the Guest House.

J Nh.: If you want a meeting at Guest House you would have to make full arrangements.

A Nzo : The Security should be involved.

T.Mb : The meeting between NM and de Klerk agreed that the (postponed) meeting should be on 2nd, 3rd, 4th May. They seek endorsement and agreed on a simultaneous statement (issued here and Cape Town.

A. Nzo read draft Press Statement. [Statement approved.] It will be issued at 12:00 hours.

T. Mb : The NWC had agreed that the statement relating to the house would be issued after the statement on the meeting.

A. Nzo reads draft statement. [Statement approved.]

JS : We should congratulate the drafters on the brevity of the statements.

P. Jord : We have been under pressure since de Klerk announced his delegation. Should the ANC not announce its also. Pressure is going to mount.

T. Mb : P Jord is correct. But there is still to be consultation.

A. Nzo : NM has received invitation to 10th anniversary of Zimbabwe plus five from ANC. Has DIA considered this?

T. Mb : NM leaves on 14th and goes to the concert on 17th when celebrations begin. People were saying those going to London including NM and WM were, R. Mhl, M. Valli, Zwelethe. I don't know if this group will come with him to Zimbabwe. They are expecting seven people. If people from London joins it is five (already).

J. Nhl : I interpret it to mean NM is invited with his entourage + 5 NEC members. This matter ought to be cleared.

A. Nzo : In Namibia NM arrived with his own entourage. But the NEC had its own delegation; We must appoint an ANC delegation of five.

CH : I move we add two.

T. Mb : Can we check this matter with the Zimbabweans? [Agreed.]

T. Mond : Mendi says Maxwell publishers have offered a jet and he wants to know our delegation.

CH : Who is Maxwell? [Reply : He is a multi millionaire publisher who supports Labour Party.]

T. Mb : My view is we should try to avoid these company flights.

JS : I support…Maxwell has a controversial image. He is right wing Labour.

T. Nk : I am also worried abut security considerations.

A. Nzo What is going to happen is, after paying expenses these people will be 500,000 in the red.

A. Pah : They are bankrupt and should be liquidated.

T. Nk : We should agree as a matter of policy that NM doesn't travel on small private planes.

T. Mb : The NRC said they wouldn't accept company planes.

A. Nzo : We emphasise NM should be in Harare by 17th and bookings should be made accordingly.

[Agreed there was no need for anybody to go from here (to London).]

G. Sh : Next itinerary of NM should include Angola.

T. Mb : We are preparing an itinerary and Angola is included.

S. Mf : The Secretariat has decided JM and A. Pah for Angola.

A. Pah : I don't think I measure up. It should be someone familiar with the issues. And perhaps someone from the "Big 5".

T. Nk : I would like to go.

J. Nhl proposed postponement of mission. [Agreed to postpone departure to Angola for Tuesday via Harare to connect Portuguese Airlines – JM to accompany T. Nk.]

S. Mf : The Premier's office in Tanzania says President Mwinyi would have to meet Secretary General.

T. Mb : I move SG goes and flights to be checked. [Agreed.]

Chairman closed meeting at 10:05 hours.

This resource is hosted by the Nelson Mandela Foundation, but was compiled and authored by Padraig O’Malley. Return to theThis resource is hosted by the site.